This minHour teaches you how to carrier unlock your Motorola Android smartphone by obtaining an unlocking code via your computer. Keep in mind that you'll need to pay for the code, so you should only use this method if you're comfortable with losing a few bucks if the code doesn't work. If you'd rather unlock your Motorola the correct way, you'll need to contact your carrier. Your Android must be on a GSM network in order to be unlocked.
Finding Your Phone’s IMEI Number
Try dialing the IMEI code.
The quickest way to retrieve your IMEI number is by opening your Phone app and dialing *#06#. This will cause the IMEI number to appear on-screen on most phones.
- If this doesn’t work for you, you can find the IMEI number by following the rest of the steps in this method.
Open your Android’s Settings.
Swipe down from the top of the screen, then tap the “Settings” gear in the top-right corner of the drop-down menu.
- On some phones, you’ll have to use two fingers to swipe down from the top of the screen.
Scroll down and tap System.
You’ll find this at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Skip this step if you’re using an Android that isn’t running the Oreo operating system.
Tap About phone.
It’s in the System menu.
- You may have to scroll down to find this option.
Find your IMEI number.
Scroll through the “About Phone” menu until you find the “IMEI” heading, then review the 16-digit number to the right of it. This is the number you’ll have to enter into the unlock site.
Retrieving an Unlock Code
Open the Unlocking Company website.
Go to https://theunlockingcompany.com/ in your computer’s web browser.
Click the “Who makes your phone…” drop-down box.
It’s near the middle of the page. A drop-down menu will appear.
This is in the drop-down menu.
Click the “Select Your Model…” drop-down box.
It’s below the first drop-down box.
Select your phone’s model.
In the drop-down menu that appears, click your Motorola’s model (e.g., ).
Click UNLOCK NOW!.
It’s a yellow button at the bottom of the page.
Select the country in which you bought your Motorola.
Click the left-most drop-down box, then click the name of the country in which you bought your Motorola.
Select your carrier.
Click the “Select Your Carrier” drop-down box, then click the carrier that your Motorola phone currently uses.
It’s at the bottom of the page.
Enter your phone’s IMEI number.
Type the 16-digit IMEI number that you retrieved into the top text box.
Add your contact information.
Type your full name into the “Your Full Name” text box, then enter a working email address into the “Delivery Email” text box.
Click ORDER NOW.
You’ll see this button at the bottom of the page.
It’s a yellow button at the bottom of the page.
Pay with PayPal.
Sign into your PayPal account, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can click Pay with Debit or Credit Card at the bottom of the page, enter your card details, and click Pay Now.
Retrieve your unlock code.
Unlocking Company will send the code to the email address you provided within 72 hours of your purchase. Once you have your unlock code, you can proceed.
Replacing the Old SIM
Obtain a SIM card for the network you want to use.
You can usually buy SIM cards from carrier stores, though you may also be able to buy a SIM card online.
Turn off your Motorola.
Press and hold the Lock button until a pop-up menu appears, then tap the option in the menu.
- You may have to tap Power off again to confirm this choice.
Remove your phone’s case.
If your phone has a case on it, take off the case before proceeding.
Remove the bumper if necessary.
If your Motorola model’s SIM slot is hidden below a rubber bumper that fits around the phone’s housing, you’ll need to remove the bumper.
- Some Motorola phones may require you to remove the back and take out the battery.
Eject the old SIM card.
You’ll usually do this by pressing in on the SIM card and waiting for it to pop out.
- If your phone uses a SIM tray, you’ll need to insert a paperclip (or similar object) into the hole next to the SIM card to eject it.
Insert your new SIM card.
Push the new SIM card into the slot, making sure to insert it in the same direction in which the original SIM card was inserted.
- Again, if your phone uses a SIM tray, you’ll place the SIM card in the tray before reinserting the tray.
Replace your phone’s cover and/or case.
Once the SIM card has been inserted, you can reassemble any pieces you removed from your phone.
Unlocking Your Motorola
Power on your phone.
Press and hold the Lock button until your phone’s screen lights up, then release the Lock button.
Wait for the SIM unlock field to appear.
Once you see a text box with the phrase “SIM network unlock PIN” (or similar), proceed.
Enter the SIM unlock code.
Type in the unlock code that you retrieved from your email.
It’s below the text box. Doing so should unlock your Motorola, thus allowing you to begin using your new SIM card’s network.
- Unlock Company has a limited refund window in which you can report that your unlock code didn’t work.
- Unlocking your phone’s carrier restrictions may result in your current carrier fining you. This is usually only a problem when your phone is still under contract.