The more we use our smartphones, the more expensive data becomes. By using WiFi, you can make calls without spending a dime. Try any number of free calling methods that use “VoIP,” or “Voice over Internet Protocol.” With VoIP, you can place calls both domestically and internationally over the internet. Use apps like Facebook Messenger, Skype, and Google Hangouts to make free calls, either online or with your smartphone!
Use Facebook Messenger to call from either your computer or smartphone.
You can use the Messenger app or use the messaging feature on the Facebook website. Select a contact in Messenger, click on the “i” button, and press “Make free call.” Your contact will receive a notification, and your call will connect over the internet.
- If you are calling from the Facebook website, make sure you have a microphone installed. You can also use a webcam and host a video call. Most webcams will have a microphone installed.
- You can make calls to local friends or international acquaintances.
Call and chat with Skype.
Skype is a popular video calling software, and you can use it on computers, mobile devices, and some TVs. Download the free app and create your profile. Open Skype from skype.com or through the Skype app. Click on the “Contact” icon to display your Skype contacts. Click on a person’s name and then select the “Skype Call” button.
- There is no charge to use Skype, as long as you are calling other Skype users. If you call phone numbers, you will be charged per minute.
- You can also instant message your contacts through Skype. This service is free as well.
Try Google Hangouts, especially if you have an Android smartphone.
Create a Google account for free, log into your account, and open the Hangout app. For new calls, tap the “+” in a green circle at the bottom right corner of your screen. Click on “New Conversation” and select your contact. You can easily redial previous callers by selecting the contact and tapping on “previous conversations.” You can make both video and audio calls with Google Hangouts.
- Google Hangouts is preinstalled on Android phones. For non-Android users, download Google Hangouts from your App store for free.
- Both users will need to have Google Hangouts installed on their devices. You will not be able call non-Google Hangout users. Your call will not connect if you are not connected to WiFi.
Download WhatsApp and call contacts for free.
WhatsApp is a popular software you can use to send messages and make calls. Open the app, search for your contact by name or number, and select the “Phone” icon. This will begin your call. WhatsApp connects through WiFi, so you can call both domestically and internationally.
Call with Apple FaceTime if you have an iPhone.
All iPhones have FaceTime preinstalled, which lets you call or video message any other iPhone user. Open the app, click on the “+” symbol in the top right corner, and select who you would like to call. Click on the blue phone icon to start your call.
- This feature is not available on Android phones.
Try Google Duo for an easier alternative to Google Hangouts.
Visit your app store, download the app, and enter your phone number. Tap the “Video Call” button on your main screen and select one of your contacts. You can call anyone who has installed Google Duo. Click on the phone number to make your call.
- To make calls, Google Duo uses your phone number, rather than your Google account (used for Google Hangout).
- Google Duo is equipped with a “Knock Knock” feature, which plays a video feed of the caller before you answer a call.
Download the app Viber to send messages and make calls.
Viber is another free calling app you can try. Install Viber from your app store and open the Viber app. To create an account, provide your country and phone number. To make a call, tap on a contact, click on “Free Call,” and you will connect to another Viber user.
- Viber will automatically find other Viber contacts in your phone. You can only place free calls with other Viber users. You can also send messages for free.
Make free international calls using the app Rebtel.
Download the app, create an account, and place your international calls. Both users must call via Rebtel.
- Rebtel is unique because it connects international contacts by linking local numbers.
- If your contacts don’t have Rebtel, you can still make international calls for a small fee.