Using a HDTV (High-Definition Television) antenna, based on the DB4 design, is 1 of the most effective ways to retrieve HDTV signals. Purchasing this type of antenna at a store will cost you at least $40. However, you can build such an antenna yourself at a much lower cost. The following is a guide on how to make a HDTV antenna.
Prepare a wooden board.
- It should be 1×3 inches (2.54×7.62 cm) or 2×3 inches (5.08×7.62 cm).
- It should be 22 inches (55.88 cm) long.
- Going from left to right with the board laying horizontally, mark lines at the 2 inch (5.08 cm) mark, the 7.25 inch (18.42 cm) mark, the 12.5 inch (31.75 cm) mark, and the 17.75 inch (45.09 cm) mark. Use a marker or a pencil.
- Mark 2 dots on each line that are evenly spaced.
Cut 8 sections of copper wire.
- Each section should be 14 inches (35.56 cm) long.
Bend each section of wire.
- Each should be bent so that each side is 7 inches (17.78 cm) long.
- The gap between each side should be 3 inches (7.62 cm) long.
- Each wire should resemble a “V” when you are finished.
Attach the v-shaped wires to the board.
- Attach the center (bent portion) of each wire to the dotted areas of the board using screws and washers.
- When finished, each v-shaped wire should extend outward from the board.
Weave 2 wires on the board.
- Use the remaining portion of the wire for this.
- The bent portion of the v-shaped wires should be intersected once each.
- The wires should not touch each other.
- Be sure that at least 1 of the wires that you weave is insulated. Vinyl insulation will work well.
- When finished, the wires should resemble 2 “X” shapes that connect the first and second and the third and fourth sets of v-shaped wires, respectively. Two horizontal lines should connect the “X” designs between the second and third sets of v-shaped wires.
Attach reflectors (grill screens) to the board.
- Two reflectors should be evenly spaced on the back of the board.
- Each reflector should be 15×9 inches (38.1×22.86 cm).
- Use screws to complete this task.
- The reflectors should not touch the v-shaped wires.
Attach a balun to the 2 center sections of wire.
- This is a transformer that can be purchased on the Internet or at an electronics retailer.
- Follow the instructions that come with the balun.
Attach the antenna to a HD television.
- Use a coax cable, which can be purchased on the Internet or at an electronics retailer.
- Follow the instructions that come with the coax cable.
- Wire coat hangers may be substituted for copper wires. Be sure to mimic the mentioned setup of the wiring and strip any paint or varnish off of the coat hangers where they touch the wire.