Handbrake is an open-source video transcoder that lets users convert an array of multimedia formats like videos to a more common or general file format. Handbrake is free to download, and because it’s an open-source application, its source code is free and you can modify it to your preference. Installing Handbrake on your computer is relatively trivial and can be done in just a few minutes.
Launch a web browser on your computer.
Any browser will do (Google Chrome, Safari, etc.); just double-click on the web browser’s icon on your desktop to open it.
Go to the Handbrake’s website.
On the address bar at the top, type in http://handbrake.fr and hit Enter.
Access the downloads page.
Click on the “Other platforms” link below the red “Download” button, and you’ll be taken to a page listing all the available installers for different operating systems (Mac, Windows, and Linux).
Download the installer for your OS.
Click on the link of the installer recommended for your computer’s operating system, and the download will begin.
- Keep in mind that you have to download the right software for your OS or else Handbrake won’t install on your computer.WH.shared.addScrollLoadItem(‘ce5a9cccb4138260060d99f0929ecd7f’)
Launch the downloaded installer by clicking on it, and the installation wizard will simply extract and install files on your local hard drive.
- When installation is done, a notification message will appear confirming that Handbrake has been installed and is ready for use.WH.shared.addScrollLoadItem(’59f191563a85b112ee70f3ae5b9460c0′)
Look for the shortcut icon.
After the installation is complete, a shortcut icon will be created on your desktop, which you can use to quickly launch the application.
- This applies to all operating systems.WH.shared.addScrollLoadItem(‘565ade151dcc0a9e095de505643763aa’)
- For Windows, click on the shortcut icon to launch the application. Handbrake will open and you can now start converting multimedia files.
- For Mac, launch Handbrake from the Application list. Click on “Finder” from the Application Dock at the bottom of the screen and select “Application” from the left menu panel. Look for “Handbrake” from the list and click its icon to launch.
- If you want to modify or edit HandBrake, you can also download its source code here: http://handbrake.fr/contribute.php.
- Feel free to share any mods you’ve created using Handbrake’s source code to help the online community.
- Avoid downloading Handbrake from other sources besides its own website and Sourceforge.net to avoid any possible malware infection.