The credit bureau Experian offers credit monitoring services to customers in the US and the UK. For US customers, Experian also offers security services to protect you from identity theft. However, if you decide you want to cancel these subscriptions, you'll have to call the bureau directly. Experian does not allow US customers to cancel their services online. On the other hand, if you live in the UK and have a CreditExpert subscription, you can quickly and easily cancel it online by logging into your account.
Canceling a CreditExpert Subscription
Log in to your Experian account.
Go to https://www.experian.co.uk/ and click the blue “Log in” button. Then, enter your credentials. You’ll be taken to your personal homepage with your account information.
- Select “My Subscriptions” to view the paid subscriptions you have through your Experian account. Choose the subscriptions you want to cancel and click “cancel.”
Try the cancellation chatbot if you want a different experience.
As of December 2019, Experian is beta-testing an automated cancellation process that will guide you through canceling your CreditExpert subscription. This service is only available for CreditExpert, so if you have additional subscriptions, you’ll have to cancel them through your online account.
- To try the chatbot, go to https://servicecloudtrial-155c0807bf-15871889adf.force.com/ExperianChatBot/s/ and click on the “chat with cancellation bot” box in the bottom right corner of your screen.
Call Experian directly to cancel during the “cooling-off period.”
After you subscribe to CreditExpert, you are legally entitled to a 14-day “cooling-off period.” If you want to cancel at any time during that period, you can get a refund for any unused services. However, you must call 0800 561 0083 to do this. Lines are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This number is free to call from all UK landlines and mobiles.
- You do not have to give any reason why you wish to cancel. You simply have to give a clear statement that you wish to cancel and provide information about yourself and your subscription.
- You can use the model form, available at https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/product-factsheets/CreditExpertBRSOctober2017.pdf, so you know what information you’ll need to provide. You can also print this form, fill it out, and mail it to Experian Limited, Lambert House, PO Box 7710, NG80 7WE.
Closing Your Membership in the US
Identify the service you have.
Experian offers several branded services to US customers, including Triple Advantage, Experian Credit Tracker, and ProtectMyID. Each of these services has its own method of cancellation.
- If you have multiple subscriptions, you may have to repeat the process to cancel each one. You likely won’t be able to cancel all of them at once.
Call the appropriate phone number for your service.
Unfortunately, if you have an Experian subscription in the US, you cannot cancel it online. Rather, you have to call Experian directly using the customer service number for that service.
- If you have Triple Advantage or Experian Credit Tracker, call 1-877-284-7942.
- If you have ProtectMyID, call 1-866-960-6943.
Provide personal information through the phone.
When you call the automated line, you’ll first be directed to press “1” if you are a consumer. If you follow this instruction, you’ll have to enter your name, Social Security number, home address, and birth date.
- If you don’t feel comfortable entering this information over the phone, you can end the call. However, you won’t be able to connect to a live operator and cancel your subscription unless you enter this information.
- Even after you enter your information, you may still have to wait a while before being connected with a live operator. For better results, call on weekdays during regular business hours.
Bypass the consumer line if you have trouble connecting to a live person.
You’ll still call 1-877-284-7942. However, you’ll press “2” rather than pressing “1” on the first automated menu, identifying yourself as a business or client rather than a consumer. As of October 2019, live operators cover this line.
- Once you are connected, identify yourself and tell the operator that you want to cancel your subscription. Insist that they complete the process for you.
- If you’re going to use the business line, call between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Central Time Monday through Friday.
Tell the representative that you want to cancel your membership.
Once you get a live operator on the line, you may have to be insistent to get them to cancel your membership. They will likely try to convince you that you want to keep the service. Do not give them reasons or chit-chat with them. Simply tell them that you want to cancel your subscription.
- If they try to misdirect you or refuse, repeat that you want to cancel your membership. If you continue to have difficulty, ask to speak to their supervisor.
- After they’ve canceled your membership, ask for confirmation of the cancellation in writing. You may also want to contact the credit card that you were using to pay for the subscription and let them know that you’ve canceled the subscription and further charges are not authorized.