This minHour teaches you to how to cancel your AT&T Wireless service or a line on the account.
Locate your AT&T Wireless account number.
If you don’t have your account number, make sure you know the phone number for at least one of the devices on your account.
Review your AT&T service agreement.
If you cancel service while you’re under a service commitment, an early termination fee (ETF) will apply, or if you’re paying an installment agreement, the entire unpaid balance of the agreement will be due immediately.
- The amount of the fee and/or cost of your device is set by your agreement with AT&T Wireless.
- The ETF and/or installment agreement balance will have reduced with each month you made a payment on your contract.
- If you cancel within 14 days of starting service and return your device in “like-new” condition, no ETF will apply and you will not be obligated under an installment agreement.
Call 800-331-0500 from any phone.
If you’re calling from an AT&T Wireless phone, you can simply dial 611.
- Alternatively, you can visit an AT&T Wireless store or kiosk.
Choose the language in which you’d like to proceed.
English and Spanish are available on the electronic system.
Say “Cancel service” when prompted.
Say your AT&T Wireless account or phone number.
Follow the prompts to complete the cancellation process.
- Consumer Affairs lists a number of customer complaints about AT&T Wireless customer service. One of the primary complaints is that customer service representatives sometimes provided contradictory answers or promise to do something and then do not follow through. Protect yourself by documenting whom you spoke with when you called to cancel your service, along with the date and time the call was made. Request either a confirmation number or written confirmation of the cancellation, or both.