Straight Talk is a no-contract wireless plan created by TracFone and Walmart. You can choose 2 plans: the $30 “All You Need” plan with approximately 1,000 minutes for 30 days or a $45 Unlimited plan for smart phones, which includes unlimited talk, data and text. Find out how to activate a Straight Talk plan using the phone of your choice.
Choosing Your Phone
Check the Service Area map on the Straight Talk website to review the phones that can be used for these plans in your area.
Go to http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/h/coverage/servicearea/.
- TracFone uses the Sprint, Verizon and AT&T networks for service, so the phones and providers in your area will determine their coverage.
- Choose a phone on the list that you have or would like to buy.
Use your own unlocked phone.
If it is on the list, the best option is to unlock a phone you have already bought with another cell phone plan. Call the wireless provider you have used and ask them to unlock your phone.
Buy an unlocked phone from the Straight Talk website.
You can choose a phone from the list of phones that are available in your area.
Purchase an unlocked cell phone, such as an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, from Walmart or a third-party site.
Walmart bundles refurbished phones in packages with a 30-day Unlimited plan with Straight Talk.
- You can go into a local Walmart or order from Walmart.com.
Buying Your SIM Card
Determine if your Straight Talk-compatible phone works on a CDMA or GSM network.
This will depend upon both the model of phone and your wireless provider.
- Phones that work on the CDMA network have a letter “C” in the model number.
- Phones that work on the GSM network have a letter “G” in the model number.
Go to Walmart to purchase a Straight Talk activation pack.
You can activate the service faster if you purchase the SIM card and plan card together. Walmart is the official provider of the activation pack.
- If you find a Straight Talk activation pack at another store, such as eBay, it is a resale product.
- Some phone models, such as the iPhone 4 and 4S require a micro SIM, rather than a regular SIM.
Opt to buy a Straight Talk SIM card from the TracFone website.
Go to http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop and select “SIM Cards” from the drop down list. Follow the prompts to buy your CDMA or GSM SIM card for approximately $15.
- You can choose to purchase a service plan card that will also be shipped to you, or you can wait and choose a plan on the website, when you activate your plan.
Activating Your Plan
Find the red activation card that came with your SIM card.
It lists the serial number you should use during the activation process, in place of your phone’s former serial number.
Find the Service PIN on the back of your Straight Talk service plan card.
You may have already purchased a $30 or $45 service plan card, if you bought an activation kit from Walmart. If you do not have a service plan card, you can purchase it during the activation process.
Go to straighttalk.
Click “Continue” to start the process.
Enter the Serial Number.
The following are the different numbers you will need depending upon the type of phone you own:
- Enter the IMEI/MEID number on the red activation card, if you bought the phone from TracFone.
- Enter the last 15-digits of your new SIM card, if you have an existing phone, but purchased a TracFone SIM card.
- Enter the MEID, if you purchased an iPhone through Walmart or the Straight Talk website.
Enter the zip code of your main residence.
Type in your Service PIN, if you have already purchased your $30 or $45 plan card.
Click on the credit card option, if you want to purchase your plan during activation.
Create an account.
It is necessary to pay each month anew with your credit card and to see details about your plan.
Enter your credit card details and choose your plan, if you have not activated a Service PIN.
Agree to the terms and conditions.
Insert your SIM card when you reach the confirmation page.
Wait several hours to 2 days for mobile service to be activated. Try making a call.
- Sign up for an auto-refill option, or call to refill your plan every 30 days. With some phones, you can switch between the “All You Need” plan and the Unlimited plan.
- Call the customer service number, at 1-888-251-8164, if you have any problems during this process.
- If you have chosen the Unlimited plan, go to your Settings application. Choose the network called “Cellular Data Network” to activate your data plan on your smartphone.
- Beware that straight Talk plans do not include streaming. If you are using a smart phone, your data use will be limited to certain applications.